Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default Sum / count data from text string with delimiter

To extract the part before the x: =LEFT(A1,FIND("x",A1)-1)
To extract the part after the x: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("x",A1))
--
David Biddulph

"J" wrote in message
I would like to be able to sum numbers from a segment of a text string. The
cells of data are in a row. The data looks like the following:
1x1.5
21x9
3x2

In one formula I need to sum the numbers prior to the "x". In a different
formula I need to sum the numbers after the "x". The number of digits is
not
a fixed length but the "x" consistently delimits the numbers.

In addition I need to count the number of unique values prior to the "x".
I've searched for the method to do this but I can not fine how.

I would appreciate any help on this.