Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey Duke Carey is offline

Default I can't think of a short title for this

Let's say all of you accounts are in col A, in rows 2-100, and the values are
in column B

Try

=sumproduct(--(right(a2:a100,1)="2"),b2:b100)

"amour24" wrote:

Ok this is what I have. I have a list of accounts: 100-2, 100-3, 200-2,
200-4,
400-2, 400-3, 400-4, etc. all in one column. Then I have the balances for
each of these accounts in another column. What I am trying to do (with no
success thus far) is create a formula that takes all the accounts that end in
"2" and add them together, all the accounts that end in "3" and add them
together etc. I figured that I would need a formula for each check digit but
I cannot figure out how to get it to work. I have used SUM, IF, CHOOSE, in
all kinds of variations. I am stuck. Is this something I can actually do?
If it is, who wants to be my saviour today? :-)