Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default What is wrong with this formula?

Superman III

Dave

"T. Valko" wrote:

Just think how much you could embezzle if you had millions of these
transactions!

Biff

"Notbefore10" wrote in message
Hi All helpers,

Just to finish this off... both the Round formula provided by Biff and the
ABS formula provided by Jerry work perfectly.

But no wonder it was hard to figure out. When I added a credit of .01
cent to the detail, the original formula worked. When I added a debit of
one cent to the detail, the original formula did not work, but adding a
debit of .02 cents made it work.

If only the balancing figure had been anything other than 4434.32 I might
never have discovered the secret of Excel binary calculations which you
all have so generously provided.

Thanks again,
Joan

"Notbefore10" wrote in message
I get the opposite effect when I apply this formula...

=IF(D75=D76,"Balanced","Error")

The answer is "Error", even though the amount is exactly the same in D75
and D76.

If I reverse it I still get the wrong answer...

=IF(D75<D76,"Error","Balanced"

The answer is "Balanced"

I must be missing some very basic syntax knowledge. The cells D75 and E76
are definitely the same number format.

Thanks for your help.