Automatically updating

I keep getting the same formula from everyone, but it is not working. It
works as long as I enter it in just the first row. But, when I enter the
same formula for the next row (changing the row # of course) it doubles the
amount in the row above it.
HELP!

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

If you entered

=B2+C2

into C3, then you told the formula to add B2 (30,000) and C2 (30,000).

If you only want it to sum Smith's values, use

=B3+C3

Note that accumulators like this can be very difficult to edit and
audit.

For additional types of accumulators, you can check out

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

In article ,
"Automatically updating"
wrote:

I am still looking for help on this worksheet. I would appreciate a response
from anyone who could assist me. Please.

"Automatically updating" wrote:

My example is like #2.
Name.......MTD.....YTD

I changed the iteraion values as indicated, but now when I enter my formula
in the second row down it doubles the first row amount.
example MTD YTD
doe, john........30,000............30,000(=b2+c2)
smith, don.......20,000...........when I enter the same formula here my
30,000 turns into 60,000. why?