Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default nested array formula's

=SUM(COUNTIF(A2:A7,{"Buchanan","Dodsworth"}))
or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A7={"Buchanan","Dodsworth"}))

"Leoski" wrote:

Microsoft has an example of how to count how often multiple text values occur
by using the SUM and IF fuctions. The example formula is:
{=SUM(IF((A2:A7="Buchanan")+(A2:A7="Dodsworth"),1, 0))}
Copying and pasting the sample table and formulas work fine - since array
formulas I pressed F2 then Shift+Ctrl+Enter. Formula works. But if I type
in the exact formula (not copy & paste), it won't work. The F2 key does not
highlight it. The Evaluate Formula tool says my formula contains a constant
- but it is identical to the copied one that works. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you