Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bullseye Bullseye is offline

Default charting locations over time instead of numbers

Kelly,

This is a great option...just one problem. I have gone everything thing you
show in your examples...but for some reason I run into a problem in step 4.
When I paste special, I get the vertical pight purple squares on the y-axis,
but it also moves all my data points into a vertical column as well instead
of leaving them where they were. I must be doing something wrong but I have
tried variations and they all give the same result. Any thoughts? Thanks
again for pointing my in this direction. At least I can now successfully
plot two of my three variables :-)

Bullseye

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

Bullseye:

It sounds like you want to make a dot plot. you want location on Y axis,
date on X axis and you want to label point with mission number.

A dot plot is an XY chart with a custom Y axis that displays text rather
than numbers.

Here's a link to a how-to example on my website.
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_dot_plots.htm

I also have a discussion on custom axes which will show you details of how
to make a custom axis. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_custom_axis.htm

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

"Bullseye" wrote in message
I am new to charts in Excel. But nothing I have found leads me to believe
the following is possible for Excel, hence the question.

My three variables a location, date, and mission number (two letters
followed by a four digit number in a single cell). All three variables
are
related in my worksheet by row, with column headers across the top of the
worksheet.

For my chart, I want to have the various locations displayed vertically on
the side of the chart on the y axis, with the associated date displayed
horizontally across the x axis of the chart. I'd like to have the mission
number displayed on the chart at the intersection of the correct
location/date position (could be a label on the data point or similar).
In
the perfect chart option, when a mission occurred at the same location as
previous mission, I'd like in on the same vertical position on the chart
and
simply moved horizontally based on the date.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance