Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Crosher John Crosher is offline

Default Opening a workbook window maximized

Dave, thanks for the reply. This workbook is not going to be used by me, but
by other (usually unskilled) users. I have set it up to run fully
automatically as a bespoke program for them to use, and they don't have any
normal XL facilities, which have been hidden. Several worksheets are opened
(and closed) by the program, and have to open maximised for them to be
properly viewed. This works 99% of the time, but just occasionally fails,
without apparent rhyme or reason, and I am trying to find a way to make it
work 100%.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

So why not just open the workbook the way you want:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With ThisWorkbook
.Unprotect
.Windows(1).WindowState = xlMaximized
.Protect , True, True
End With
End Sub

John Crosher wrote:

I am trying to ensure that the sheet window in an Excel workbook always opens
maximized and remains protected in that state, so that users cannot resize
it. If the window element of the workbook is protected and saved before
closing the workbook, it always reopens as a restored window, not maximised,
regardless of the window size when it was closed.

That is the case whether the sizing and protection is done manually, or
using a code fragment such as:-
With Workbooks(WBName)
.Unprotect
.Windows(1).WindowState = xlMaximized
.Protect , True, True
.Close True
End with

This behaviour appears to conflict with the Excel Help (e.g.XLXP) for
"Workbook protection (Windows)", which says:-
"Windows element, When selected, prevents users from:
"Changing the size and position of the windows for the workbook when the
workbook is opened."
"Moving, resizing, or closing the windows. However, they can hide and
unhide windows." "

This behaviour seems to have existed since XL97 through XL2003, and there is
no MS KB article which addresses this issue.

Can anyone help, please?

--

Dave Peterson