Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Conditional chart series.

Several options:

Pivot table plus regular chart
(http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=553)
Conditional chart, requires additional columns
(http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"DaveO" wrote in message
If I have a table of data which has Date as column 1, Department as column
2
as Sales data in Column 3. (For example...)

A B C
01/01/07 Dept 1 10
01/01/07 Dept 2 20
01/01/07 Dept 3 30
02/01/07 Dept 1 40
02/01/07 Dept 2 50
02/01/07 Dept 3 60

It doesn't have column headers as it stands.

What I would like to do is have a chart with the Date (Column 1) as the
'X'
axis, and 3 series, one for each Department (Column 2), against a 'Y' axis
as
determined by the number of Sales (Column 3).

I'm using Excel 2003, but short of a Pivot chart I don't know how to do
this.

Further info, the reason I'm trying to use an ordinary chart is that I
actually have more than 3 columns. as I have other data in my table which
would also like to chart, however I'm writing code to determine the data
source for the series and doing this on a Pivot Chart I feel would be more
difficult.

I could refresh the pivot table data, then copy this out into a static
data
table where I have the Dept as column headers, but this seems a bit
ineffecient to me and was hoping that I could do this another way.

Any help would be great.

TIA.