Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
efandango efandango is offline

Default Can excel find a sequence of numbers from a known total?

Chip,

I'm not sure why I should, after all it was your cleverness; but I feel
somewhat honoured that my problem should inspire a publishable formula!. Can
you unofficially title it: 'Eric's red-eye forumla'...

In my limited experience of VBA, it seems beautifully concise, if only I
could fully understand what its doing.

On another note, I think the two solutions on your website compliment each
other; certainly in the same ballpark.

once again, thanks. (to you all)

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Eric,

It was an interesting little diversion from the usual questions in the
newsgroup. It was fun to write. I put the solution up on my web site, on a
page describing how to fill missing entries in a series of numbers. The two
problems are only tangentially related, but I couldn't think of any other
relevant page on this on which to include it.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Insert....htm#SumSeries .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"efandango" wrote in message
Hello Chip,

That sir, is fantastic!. it did for me in the blink of an eye, what I have
previously spent an eye-straining excessive amount of time on...

thank you

much appreciated.

regards

Eric

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

If I understand your question properly, you want find a contiguous range
of
cells that adds up to a particular number, 68 in your example. The
following
code will search column A looking for a series of contiguous cells that
add
up to the value in cell B1. It will scan until either the answer is found
or
a blank cell is encountered in column A, in which there is no series that
adds up to Answer.

Sub FindSeries()

Dim StartRng As Range
Dim EndRng As Range
Dim Answer As Long
Dim TestTotal As Long

Answer = Range("B1") '<<< CHANGE

Set StartRng = Range("A1")
Set EndRng = StartRng
Do Until False
TestTotal = Application.Sum(Range(StartRng, EndRng))
If TestTotal = Answer Then
Range(StartRng, EndRng).Select
Exit Do
ElseIf TestTotal Answer Then
Set StartRng = StartRng(2, 1)
Set EndRng = StartRng
Else
Set EndRng = EndRng(2, 1)
If EndRng.Value = vbNullString Then
MsgBox "No series found"
Exit Do
Loop

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email address is on the web site)

"efandango" wrote in message
Can excel find (and highlight) a continuous sequence of numbers using a
known
total as reference from the following list of numbers?

the answer is 68.

8
6
3