Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
efandango efandango is offline

Default Can excel find a sequence of numbers from a known total?

Hello Ron,

I want to use this to error check a date range control in MS Access. The
control is calculating no of total days an event occurs, I have quite a few
controls to check, and given that I have a large number of date ranges to
check through, finding the 'from' - 'to' contigeous spans is a nightmare, so
if i can just chuck the column of figures in (that relate to an adjacent
column of dates), and get Excel to highlight the sequence(s), it should make
the error cheking easier and foolproof.

make sense?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Not sure where you're going with this, but....
using your posted list and looking for consecutive values that sum to 68....

A1 8
A2 6
A3 3
A4 2
A5 6
A6 10
A7 9
A8 4
A9 12
A10 8
A11 6
A12 1
A13 8
A14 10
A15 8
A16 14
A17 10
A18 9
A19 12
A20 12
A21 14
A22 6
A23 4
A24 3
A25 4
A26 4
A27 4
A28 0
A29 6
A30 10
A31 4
A32 9
A33 6
A34 3
A35 11
A36 12
A37 10
A38 7
A39 12
A40 8
A41 8

These ranges total to 68:
A1:A10
A6:A14
A18:A26
A21:A32
A23:A35

Assuming it could be done, how would you want Excel to handle all of that
with highlighting?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"efandango" wrote:

Can excel find (and highlight) a continuous sequence of numbers using a known
total as reference from the following list of numbers?

the answer is 68.

8
6
3