ChelleA

This formula didn't work when my patient number was considered text...once I
converted the text to numbers it did. Thanks!

"Dan Knight" wrote:

ChelleA;
Doing a search in Excel Help for "How do I count unique values in a list"
returns the following advice:

"Sometimes you want to find out how many unique values there are in a range
that contains duplicate values....." use the following formula:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A2:A10,A2:A10)0,1))

Where A2:A10 = equals the range of cells containing the data.

"ChelleA" wrote:

I have a listing of proceedures for each patient. But I want to summarize
the number of patients with out having to manually have to go in and count.
Is there a formula, or function that can do this?
Example:
column A column B column C
Patient number Proceedure number proceedure date
4455 152 1/1/05
4455 188 1/1/05
4455 145 1/1/05

When you sum the column A it gives you a value of one for each occurance,
but I'd like to tell me the number of patients (1) at visited not number of
proceedures (3).