Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day Kelly O'Day is offline

Default How to plot hourly data

Jon:

There are times when XY based trend charts look much better with thin
vertical lines (made with error bars) illustrate the data better than trend
lines.

Here's an example -
http://processtrends.com/pg_chart_sc...r_checkbox.htm

Precipitation is one of those variable where it's better to use thin
vertical lines to display each day or hour discretely rather than connect
points with a trend line. Since there is no rain on most days/hours, a trend
line of precipitation will continually drop to zero, making an ugly chart;
thin vertical lines on rain days look much better.

Kelly

http://processtrends.com

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
I said "If you need a column chart", implying that a column chart might be
what you want but not what you need. In your other thread, I advised an XY
chart. Column charts are not good for time data anyway, you ought to use an
XY chart with lines connecting the points, to convey the passage of time.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"mjwedeking" wrote in message
I guess that works. Not as nice as creating a normal time-scale plot. I
guess
Excel does not expect people to be plotting 5 sec data.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

If you need a column chart, go to Chart Options on the Chart menu, click
on
the Axes tab, and check the Category box under Category (X) Axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"mjwedeking" wrote in message
A lot of times I plot hourly or even 15 minute data. Unless if I am
doing a
simple line graph (which can be done with an XY plot) Excel will only
plot
the data as daily data. The only way to get around it is to change the
value data (date/time stamp) to regular text data. I want to be able
plot
the flow on a line graph and the rain on the same graph (second
y-axis) as
bar graph.

Sample Data:
A B C