Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fishman4 Fishman4 is offline

Default Conditional Formatting of Merged Cells

Not sure. In the CF dropdown, I select 'cell value is' and then begin to set
my parameters: less than, greater than, etc. Do I need to convert the result
of the formula from text to a number?
--
Fishman4

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Is your CF looking for text or for numbers?
Your RIGHT() function will return text.
--
David Biddulph

"Fishman4" wrote in message
OK. I am making progress. I have been able to separate the data in the
cells into individual columns by using this formula:
=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(CHAR(10),A2))

Since there are three lines of data, I have to run this in the second
column
and I get two of the lines of data moved. Then I run it in the third
column
to get it down to just one. Now the problem is the conditional
formatting.
When I apply CF on the third column, i get no results. If I remove the
formula and simply enter text the formatting works. What gives?

Don F.

--
Fishman4

"Fishman4" wrote:

I have read this entire (well almost) forum and have found many near
hits,
but nothing is working quite right. I get a report from an outside
source
that I must format and distribute. The report is generated using SQL
2003
Reporting Services and it comes in EXCEL but it is formatted 40 ways from
Sunday i.e.;merged cells borders, etc. Here is my dilema: I have rows
containing data in this format

L M N O
3/30 4/16 6/22 7/3
10 3/22 4/12 6/18 7/1
8 4 4 2

This is repeated for many rows (it varies each time the report is run)
over
a fixed number of columns. I need it to look like this:

L M N O
11 3/30 4/16 6/22 7/3
12 3/22 4/12 6/18 7/1
13 8 4 4 2

Another twist. I need to run conditional formatting that will color a
particular cell based on its value. I have the formatting worked out,
but
only after the data is displayed in separate rows. I hope that this
makes
sense. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Don F.

P.S. If it is possible to apply the formatting to the merged cell
without
splitting it, that would be grand!

--
Fishman4