Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HK[_2_] HK[_2_] is offline

Default Can you calculate a cell name? and How to return a value from an a

I want the "NAME" to be derived from a formula. Assuming A1 and B1 are text
values, I want the name of cell C1 to be A1&B1.

"Dave F" wrote in message
Question 1: You can use named ranges in formulas.

Question 2: = IF(A1="NAME",B1,"")

Dave

"HK" wrote:

It's been years since I've really dug into a spreadsheet with lots of
formulas. I've forgotten how much fun it is. I used to be a Lotus 1-2-3
Release 1A wizard. That's how long it's been since I've built
spreadsheets
with even a medium complexity.

So excuse this if these are dumb questions:

1) Can you name a cell with a formula? For instance, let's say there's
an
column for age. Each cell, I want to name by adding FIRSTNAME + LASTNAME
+
"AGE". Then I can refer to that cell by name instead of by cell address
in
later formulas.

2) How do I return a value from column B based on matching a value in
column
A? For instance, if A is NAME and B is AGE, in a formula, I want to say
"get a person's age if NAME is equal to N". Just a function name would
suffice. I'm pretty good at figuring things out once I get a pointer.

TIA,

HK