Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Question For Importing Data Into Excel/Converting General Number to Dollar Amount

0303.00 is not a dollar amount.

In fact it is not a "real" number. that could be used for calculations.

Is that a typo?

You could divide 30300 by 100 to return 303 then format as Custom 0###.00 so it
looks like 0303.00

To divide all numbers at the same time.......enter 100 in an unused cell.

Copy that cell then select the column with numbers and EditPaste Special(in
place)DivideOKEsc

Then apply the custom formatting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 12 Feb 2007 13:01:25 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I know how to import data into Excel. However, one of my colums is a
number field where i need the number in the cell to be displayed as a
dollar amount...

Say the cell reads H1 reads 30300. I need that cell to read 0303.00

How do I do that without having to manually go into each cell (we are
talking 1500 cells) and adding a zero and putting a decimal in?