Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default how do I create a blank cell in excel 2003?

If I understand correctly:
You have plotted a range of cells which include one or more empty (blank cells)
On the chart you want the line to break when at a blank.
Click chart to activate the chart; use Tools | Options and open the Chart tab
Select "Plot empty cells ..Not potted (leave gaps)"
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"pczerny" wrote in message ...
Jon,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I stumbled upon the NA() solution and
while it's misleading (if there is no data, there should be a gap in the
graph) it's better than the graph going to zero and then coming back up.
I'm assuming that the MVP group has pushed for such a function to be included?

Thanks again.

--
Paul Czerny

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

There is unfortunately no function that returns a blank. We would like to
have something like BLANK() or NULL(), but it's not available.

=IF(LEN(A1)=0,NA(),A1)

LEN(A1) checks for a blank. If there is a blank, NA() turns into #N/A in the
chart, which isn't exactly a blank: no point is drawn in a line or XY chart
for this cell, and any line connecting data points connects the points on
either side.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"pczerny" wrote in message

I'm trying to create a blank cell in excel 2003. When I move data from a
blank cell, excel turns the data from a blank cell into a zero and I'd
like
it left as a blank cell so that a graph of the data shows a gap.

Thanks ahead of time.

--
Paul Czerny