Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John John is offline

Default Calculating a sliding scale

I have a column of 2000 dollar amounts that I need to break up into 6
groupings. Obviously I could divide the number of rows by 6 and get my
intervals, in this case 300.
However, I need to base these intervals , not on the count but on the dollar
amount. The dollar amounts range from $5000.000 to 0.

One might suggest that dividing 5000 by 6 would work. But I do not want
equal parts. The median value of all items is 870, not 2500. I need to
create a sliding scale of sorts.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or the magic algorhythm.

I was originally thinking of spliting the values in half using median(),
then splitting the two halves in haf, then splitting those 4 in half, then
those 8 in half... you get the idea.
I don't think that will work either as:
2 -4 -8- 16 - 32 - 64 - 128 - 256 - 512 - 1024 - 2048...

I could break it up into 2048 pieces and still those peices wouldn't be
divisible by 6... Ahhhhhh

Help, Please