Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default excel 2007 extememly slow on chart

Possibly more than just 'some'. Been fighting this nightmare for a week now.
Some interesting points come out. After basically rewriting the code to get
it to run without failing in 2007, and in a fashion that can also be used
under Excel 2003, I find that charting is about 10-12 times slower under 2007
than it was under 2003.

Big problem may be that while creating charts in VBA code, it does not
'honor' the Application.ScreenUpdating = False command - the chart is
displayed and so is the worksheet under it with each new chart on each new
page. Same thing over in Excel 2003 keeps everything hidden until it is all
done.

The task: read 51 11x800 sets of data from a file, put each set on a
separate sheet, arrange from the 800 rows of 2 columns into an 11x800 matrix.
For second test, do the above and add graphing of the matrix to the sheet(s).

Here are some results:
System #1 - AMD 3200+ 1 GB RAM, Win XP Pro/Excel 2003
Process into Matrix: 1m 16s
Process w/Charts: 1m 21s

System #2 - AMD X2 4800+ 2 GB RAM, Win MCE/Excel 2007
Process into Matrix: 1m 37s
Process w/Charts: 12m 05s

System #3 - Intel E6600 Core-Duo 2 GB RAM, Win MCE/Excel 2007
Process into Matrix: 1m 32s
Process w/Charts: 11m 47s

The processing for the "Process into Matrix" step is EXACTLY the same code
in both the 2003 and the 2007 versions.

"Dave F" wrote:

Interesting, thanks.

It seems XL 07 still has some kinks to work out!

Dave

"JLatham" wrote:

Dave, just for further info - the chart I mention in response to the OP just
has a lot of data points, period. The data is nothing but an 11 x 800 matrix
of numbers: no formulas, no links, no functions, just numbers (in scientific
notation as 1.04E04)

The machine is pretty quick: AMD X2 4800+ (dual core) and it's maybe 15%
slower than the Intel E6600 Core-Duo setup I have, which also suffers the
same slowdown from even the simplest action like changing an X-Y scatterchart
line width or color.

"Dave F" wrote:

Hard to say what the issue is without know what your computer set up is, and
what the data is.

What's your computer's RAM? Processor speed?

Does the data contain a lot of volatile functions?

Etc.

Dave

"sam" wrote:

Very frustrated with this problem.
I have about 1000 data points and insert a chart (any type, such as line,
bar, or scatter) from those data, then I go "format axis" to change the
minimum or maximum from "auto" to a specific number. Afther that, whenever I
click on the plot, excel will stop responding for a couple minute. I am
dealing with large data every day. This is killing me.