Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default changing text to date format

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:00:27 -0000, "David Biddulph"
wrote:

Yes, it was unfortunate that all the examples from the OP could be
interpreted either way. If his second example had been 11251999 or
25111999, then we'd all have known what language we were speaking.

I suppose that the fact he said he wanted his output formatted as mm/dd/yy
or mm/dd/yyyy format should have been a hint to me if I'd been wider awake.
It's an interesting reminder that these things need to be clearly specified,
and often need the Windows Regional Options set accordingly. As it was,
your formula and the one from Gary's Student gave totally different answers
on my machine.

Yes, Gary's formula will give proper results independent of the Windows
Regional Settings. Mine will only give the "correct" answer with US style
Regional Settings.
--ron