Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christine Christine is offline

Default How do I count the number of times a value appears?

Sorry for the confusing title....I couldn't figure out another way to say it.
But I can't figure out which formula to use for this.

For example:
Workbook 1 - contains 2 worksheets
On Sheet1, Column A, there is a list of numbers. i.e. A1 = 1, A2 = 1, A3 = 2
etc as shown below:
1
1
2
2
4
4
4
4
5
6
7
7
7
2
2
4
4
4
4
5
6
1
2
2

On Sheet2, Column A I have a list of sequential numbers as shown below
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

If I want a total of how many times the #1 shows up on Sheet1 in Column A,
and want that value put in column B on Sheet 2.....what formula would I use?

I hope this makes sense to someone :-)

Christine