Myrna Larson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FREQUENCY work only with numeric data?
That's what she shows in the sample date, but I'm not sure that is always the
case.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:01:01 -0800, "Dan Knight"
wrote:

ChelleA;
Doing a search in Excel Help for "How do I count unique values in a list"
returns the following advice:

"Sometimes you want to find out how many unique values there are in a range
that contains duplicate values....." use the following formula:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(A2:A10,A2:A10)0,1))

Where A2:A10 = equals the range of cells containing the data.

"ChelleA" wrote:

I have a listing of proceedures for each patient. But I want to summarize
the number of patients with out having to manually have to go in and count.
Is there a formula, or function that can do this?
Example:
column A column B column C
Patient number Proceedure number proceedure date
4455 152 1/1/05
4455 188 1/1/05
4455 145 1/1/05

When you sum the column A it gives you a value of one for each occurance,
but I'd like to tell me the number of patients (1) at visited not number of
proceedures (3).