Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Axis scale on X-Y scatter graph

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Andy said:
Is it possible to link the scales for the X and Y axis so that the scale can
increase/decrease automatically, but both X and Y always cover the same
range. I am plotting data which is just easier to read if 0,0 remains in the
centre of the graph - I could fix the axis scale, but I want to leave as
'auto' due to the changing data.

I would suggest creating an invisible data range consisting of four
scatter points whose x values are plus and minus the MAX() values of the
real x values, and whose y values are +/- the MAX() of the displayed y
values.

x y
MAX(x-range) MAX(y-range)
-MAX(x-range) MAX(y-range)
MAX(x-range) -MAX(y-range)
-MAX(x-range) -MAX(y-range)

This invisible rectangle should, if I'm right, keep your automatic
ranges centred on the screen.

--
Del Cotter