Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dora Smith Dora Smith is offline

Default Will excel generate one-tailed confidence intervals for Poisson distribution?

No, when you do that, it computes the probability for the value that you
specify. Or else up to the value you specify. TRUE does one and FALSE does
the other.

I want to be able to determine what value corresponds to a given
probability.

--
Yours,
Dora Smith

"Mike Middleton" wrote in message
Dora -

... is there a way to plug a level of probability you want to achieve
in and have it give you the number of records one has a 99% probability
of achieving? <

I think that's what the POISSON worksheet function does when you set the
third argument (cumulative) equal to TRUE.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Dora Smith" wrote in message
OK, I understand why it makes more sense to use the normal distribution,
on our hundreds of thousands of records, but my boss is not convinced -
mabye because he knows the Poisson distribution is skewed to the left,
and he said something about getting higher probabilities than 97%. I
dunno. Maybe the purpose has to do with improving performance.

My question now is, can Excel generate one-tailed confidence intervals
for the Poisson distribution? In other words, is there a way to plug
a level of probability you want to achieve in and have it give you the
number of records one has a 99% probability of achieving?

If not, what plugins for Excel are available to accomplish that - without
needing to know visual basic or something to use them?

I have an idea not, but I'm double checking.

--
Yours,
Dora Smith