Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Martin Fishlock Martin Fishlock is offline

Default Question about functions

If the function is in say cell B4 then if you copy if across it should
automatically update?

[B4]=if(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$1:$65536,B3)0,"X","")

Select cell b4 and the cells to the right that you want to fill and then do
Ctrl+R or Edit-Fill-Right.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Spamn" wrote:

Ah, I was using the wrong function. Thank you. I took that and modified it a
bit obviously (actual name of the sheet to search and "hello" to B3). Worked
perfect. Now if there was only a way to put that function in every box and
not have to type the cell to match to each time. IE B3, C3, D3.

Thanks

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:

Hi Spam N:

Try using the countif function.

=if(COUNTIF(Sheet2!$1:$65536,"hello")0,"X","")

You need to change the last row if you are working in the lastest version of
excel.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Spamn" wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm trying to use the right function or if I'm just messing
it up.

I'm trying to make a different version of a sheet that I already have. I
want to make a function that will search my other sheet for a word and if
that word is on that sheet, it will put an "X" in that box of the new sheet.

So far I have =IF(B3=, "X", " ")

It works if after the = you put the exact box that the word is in, but I
can't get it to search the whole sheet for that word.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.