Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Can you reference a worksheet outside of the workbook you're i

Did you mean "Excel" workbook and not "Word Document"?

Yes, the Template is the way to go.

Just make sure when you Save As the original it is saved as MS Excel
Template(*.xlt)

Name it and let Excel add the .xlt extension.

Gord

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:20:00 -0800, MeWivFree
wrote:

Where did you get this idea?

Its an idea I came up with myself. At the moment I have a separate Word
document for each customer contract, and at contract renewal time have to not
only make sure their contact details are still correct but also make changes
to the equipment they've got and prices we charge to maintain it as
necessary. Bit of a pain!

So I thought it would be easier to have one workbook that keeps track of
everybody so I at the very least only have to change the equipment charges in
one place.

Copying a worksheet does restrict you to 255 characters in a cell.

Copying a cell from worksheet A to Worksheet B does not restrict you to 255
characters in a cell.

There's too many cells in the original worksheet which would defeat the
purpose of making my life easier.

Aside from this, maybe save the 3 sheets as a Template(*.xlt) with the Contract
sheet blank except for formulas and formatting.

When you select FileNewTemplate and click on your template, a workbook will
open based upon that Template.

Fill in the Contract sheet for a customer and save.

Sounds like a good compromise Gord - I've been working with separate files
for each customer up until now anyway but at least saving the whole workbook
at as a template will mean that I'll still only have to change most things in
one place!

Many thanks for the help - I'll give it a go!!

Ali