Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Frank B Denman Frank B Denman is offline

Default Can't make hyperlink function work for hyperlink to website

If I type the URL into a cell, a functional hyperlink is automatically created.

Frank

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:51:44 -0500, "Epinn" wrote:

So I'm not sure in this context what "a spec for a hyperlink" means.

If I interpret it correctly, it is exactly what you have - plain text i.e. URL in plain text format and not blue and underline.

One word from your message stands out - imported. I typed in the URL.

I am curious as to what happens when you actually type in the URL manually into a blank cell on the same worksheet and hit enter. Does it turn into a hyperlink immediately? If the hyperlink function works well with the typed in URL, then the problem may lie with the imported data?? Some hidden control/print characters? But then you have the balloon etc.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Appreciate feedback when you have solved your problem so that I can congratulate you.

Epinn

"Frank B Denman" wrote in message ...
Alas, that quote is going over my head.

I don't have any lookup tables. My worksheet is simply a database with columns
for Company, Address, Phone, Company_Web, etc. I imported the data from a text
file and the website addresses appear as plain text rather than as hyperlinks.

So I'm not sure in this context what "a spec for a hyperlink" means.

BTW, when the mouse pointer hovers over my non-functional hyperlinks, the
pointer changes to the expected hand with index finger extended, and the balloon
message "http://somedomain.com - Click once to follow. Click and hold to select
this cell" appears as expected.

Frank

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 03:26:52 -0500, "Epinn" wrote:

Forgot to mention that there is a limit to the number of characters for the link - about 250. If it is more than 250, it may still show as a link (blue, underline etc.) but nothing happens when you click. However, the example you gave was not above the limit.

It seems to work for me both ways - a true hyperlink or a spec for a hyperlink.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message ...
I used hyperlink function before and I just tried it again. It works fine for me. I use Excel 2003.

See if the following link gives you some inspiration.

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Formulas/19517.html

A line from the above link:

"The value in column 2 is exactly a link reference (not a true hyperlink -- rather a spec for a hyperlink)."

Epinn

"Frank B Denman" wrote in message ...
Forgot to mention this is Excel 2k3 SP2
Frank Denman
Denman Systems

[Please delete the "x" from my email address]