Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster pinmaster is offline

Default Number of Characters for a formula

Hi,

The formula I gave was only meant as an example to show how using named
ranges could reduce the lenght of the formula, it was not meant as a
suggestion since we don't know what you're trying to do. Perhaps if you
posted your original formula, people might get a better understanding of what
your trying to do. If you want to learn more about named ranges check the
link below.

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Fred "Djinn" Holstings" wrote:

That sounds promising but if you would could you explain what some of the
sections mean?

=VLOOKUP(A1,January!A1:B100,2,0) -- What does the first A1 mean? I get the
January!A1:B100 but what does the ,2,0 mean and what if I have multiple cell
to lookup/reference? Like I brake the code up into five sections so that I
have a sheet named DataCode and cell b3 has one fifth of the code b4 has the
second section and so forth?

Thanks Much!
Fred

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

One possible solution would be to use named ranges. Let's say you wanted to
lookup a cell from the range A1:B100 of the worksheet named January, the
normal formula would be =VLOOKUP(A1,January!A1:B100,2,0) but if you name that
range say "rng1" then it could be shorten to =VLOOKUP(A1,rng1,2,0), this is
just an example but if you have to reference another sheet in your formula 4
or 5 times it would shorten it quite a bit.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Fred "Djinn" Holstings" wrote:

What can I do if I have a formula that greatly exceeds that limit? If there a
way I can store portions of the formula in different areas and then do some
sort of concatenation?

"Dave F" wrote:

1024 characters: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...992911033.aspx

Dave

"Fred "Djinn" Holstings" wrote:

I was wondering if there is a maximum number of characters that a formula can
be?

Like 255 or 360??

Thanks.
Fred