Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Dave Dave is offline

Default Links disappear

Hello everyone

I posted this question a few days ago and got no response - I'm hoping
this will be a clearer explanation.

I client has presented me with a number of Excel files that he wants
linked to a master spreadsheet. These are all *.xls files, and are
about 11k in size, and are updated periodically from Access.

When I link a new workbook (target) to one of these files (source),
the link works until I close the target. Then, if I try to update the
link (EditLinksUpdate Now) I get an "Unable to read file" message.

If I save the target, the file size jumps from 11k to 19k, and the
links work perfectly. At first I thought this might be a version
issue, but running Activeworkbook.Fileformat in VBA on the original
file comes back with -4143 (Excel 97/2000). I'm running Excel 97, so
I tried it on a friend's system with Excel 2003, got the same
results.

I'm running out of ideas, any insight into this would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

DaveU