Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MLK MLK is offline

Default Vlookup/Pivot table question

I will just clear out the values manually.

"MLK" wrote:

Thanks, but I had already tried that. The " " puts a blank in the cell which
translates into a 0 value on reports. I would like to leave the cell value
completely alone if there is no match, but don't know if there is a way to do
that using vlookup. Or is there a way to automate deleting a cell value is a
value gets pull in?

When I use the formula you mention, I actually go in manually and delete the
" " value to get the results I want, but want to automate this somehow.

"Dave F" wrote:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP([your vlookup])),"",VLOOKUP([your vlookup]))

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"MLK" wrote:

Is there a way to do a vlookup but return no value at all for #NA situations.
For example on a numeric field, If there is no match, I do not want a cell
entry at all, not even a blank. I've tried doing multiple scenarios... but
no luck.

The reason is that I need to report a blank financial value in a pivot
report to identify no match was found in order to differentiate between
legitimate 0 values and/or division errors.

Any non-numeric value automatically turns into a 0 in the pivot report -
unless the cell was completely blank in the first place and not populated. f

I tried leaving the actuals #N/A error in the cell and I though this would
work because the #N/A at least appers as-is in the pivot reports, however the
totalling doesn't work in the reports.