Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default scheduling

Why don't you record the start-time and finish-time for each day, and
then just subtract one from the other to give the number of hours for
that day? That implies using 3 columns for each day.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 30, 12:23 am, mittymun
wrote:
Martin:

Like during a full day, there could be an 8-5 shift, 9-6, 10-7, 11-8, 12-9,
and 1-10. Those could be all the 8 hour shifts, but then there could be 7
hour shifts, 6 hour, 5 hour and then only a 4 hour. So the spreadsheet would
have to recognize all the shifts and understand how many hours each shift was
and then try to total them. I am able to understand a basic IF(A2="8-5", 8,
0) statement. But being able to put in all the cases is proving more
difficult for me! Thanks for your help!

Mike

"Martin Fishlock" wrote:
Hi Mike:

You could try using additional columns for each day to make the calculations
easier to understand for each day and then add the cells together.

You could write a macro that handles the process.

But you really need to explain the conditions to get some specific help.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"mittymun" wrote:

I am fairly new to excel and formulas and I am attempting to write a formula
that when it takes in a retail shift for Sunday through Saturday, it takes
the amount of hours worked and totals it in a different cell. The main
problem that I see is that there are a lot of conditions that could be met.
Is there anything I can do to approach this?

Thanks,

Mike- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -