Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
notso notso is offline

Default max number based on multiple values

Thank you! I don't quite understand how it works, but it does.

Another question, my table varies in length, how do I automatically change
the length based on another variable.

Example the table I sent is 4 rows; the next table might be 8 rows; the next
one might be 2. Can I set a variable to automatically change the length?

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi again

Forgot to mention that in my formula D8 contained the letter C and F2 the
number 2. Should have given you this instead for a better understanding.

=INDEX(D2:D5,MATCH(MAX(IF((A2:A5="c")*(B2:B5=2),C2 :C5)),C2:C5,0))
again enter using CSE

Cheers!
Jean-Guy

"notso" wrote:

Name Course Complete Date Completion Status
A 1 6/21/2006 Complete
C 2 10/30/2006 Incomplete
C 3 03/30/2006 Complete
C 2 03/30/2006 Complete

Above is my table. I need a formula that will take the Name & the Course #
as input and return the completion status of the most recent date of a course
taken.

Using the above table; Student "C" & Course "2" should return "Incomplete"
because October is the most recent date.