Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Martin Fishlock Martin Fishlock is offline

Default Conditional sums for adjacent cells

Have a look at the sumif function.

Try =sumif(a:a,"A1",b:b)
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Eric" wrote:

Hello--I am puzzled about whether or not excel can help me with this
function. Here's what my data is like:

Part # Quantity
A1 5
A1 1
A1 2
A2 3
A2 7
A3 1
A3 1

What I'd like to be able to do is find out the total quantity of part A1
(which in this case would be 8), part A2 (10), and part A3 (2). Is there a
formula I can use for this? I'm confused because the range for the sum is
conditional based on the value that appears in column 1.

Thanks in advance for the help--this discussion group has been extremely
helpful for me already.