Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
H H is offline

Default Look up unique value over several columns of data

Hi,

Can anyone think of a way to lookup a value in an table that covers several
columns of unique discreet values and then returns the row number in which
that value occurs regardless of the column number?

E.g. B2:D4 contains unique discreet values and one of these value is 3,
which is in cell C4. The lookup formula searches for 3 in columns B:D and
returns 4 for the row number.

MATCH seems to only handle one column at a time. I realize that I could
write this functionality with a nested IF statement, but imagine that the
table covers many columns, in which case the IF statement method would be
impractical.

Hope this makes sense.