Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Custom List

Connie

Bust the data into two columns by using datatext to columnsdelimited
byotherhyphenfinish.

Select both columns and sort by column A

In Column C enter =IF(B2="",A2&B2,A2&"-"&B2)

Copy down.

Copy column C and paste specialvalueokesc.

Delete A and B

Try recording a macro so's you can do this again as you add more data.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:29:00 -0800, Connie Martin
wrote:

So I have to manually sort the list first?? I'm always adding numbers to
this list. I don't think you have understood, or I have not explained well
enough. Please see my response to Roger Govier. Thank you. Connie

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Select the list, goto ToolsOptionsCustom Lists and hit the Import button.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
Sorry, I don't understand. This was only a sample list. We could be
talking
about 1000s of numbers. Connie

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

just enter those numbers with comma delimiters

ToolsOptionsCustom List

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Connie Martin" wrote in message
I want to create a new custom list in Tools/Options that will sort a
list
of
numbers with dashes in this way:

1383
1769-7
1794-8
1849-1
1913
1957
1962-1
1977-3
1996-1
2009-2
2020-1
2051
2077-2
2079-2
2102-1
2121-1
2126-1
2129-1
2130-1
2135
2139
2161-2
2169-2
2179
2180

How do I have to set up my custom list so it sorts like this?

Connie