Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Lyttle Nick Lyttle is offline

Default Formatting Columns in Pivot Tables

Hi,

Make sure you right click in any cell of the column you want to format (data
field column) then click field settings and then you will see the number
option.

"dmasch" wrote:

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion but I actually don't see an
option for "Number" when I select Field Settings. When I open Field Settings
I get a box called PivotTable Field with the Name of the column I am
currently in. Then on the left there is Subtotals with button options of
Automatic, Custom and None. Then inside a box I see Sum, Count, Average, Max,
Min, Product, Count Nums, StdDev, StdDevp, Var, Varp. Along the right I have
OK, Cancel, Hide, Advanced, Layout. I don't have the option of selecting
Number; or am I missing something?
Thanks

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

I assume you have been using Format Cell and tehnd selecting your format. Try
this... Right click on the numbers and select Field Setting and then Number.
Select your format and all of the numbers for that field will be formatted
appropriately...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"dmasch" wrote:

I want to have certain number formats down a column stay after a refresh but
the cell formats keep reverting back to "General". In PivotTable Options I
have AutoFormat table unchecked and Preserve formatting checked. My headers
keep their formatting but the cells below with numbers keep going back to
general with something like 9 decimal places. Any suggestions? Thanks