Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default populating a cell with the difference from another

If you see the formula and not its calculation, the cell in question is
likely formatted as text. Format as General, or Number, or something else.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"ng66" wrote:

Thanks, Dave. Weird thing is it worked for column B but when I changed the
formula for other columns (I need it for columns B-F), it populated the
formula and not the result of it. All I did was change the column letter.
Should I convert it in some other way?

Thanks again!

"Dave O" wrote:

An IF works by evaluating a logic situation, then returning one answer
if the logic is evaluated as True and another if the evaluation is
False. The format is IF(logical question, true evaluation, false
evaluation).

So if I read your post right, your formula should look like this:
=IF(B840,B8-40,0)
This returns a zero if B8 is less than 40. You can enter another
response such as "" (2 double quotes) if you want to return a blank
cell.

Does that do it for you?
Dave O