Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default if cell CONTAINS xyz, then abc

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("clin",B3)),"yes","")

"Kyli" wrote:

I have a column that contains many values in text. I am searching this
column to see if it contains the partial text "Clinic". For example, three
cells could contain:

Physician, Administrator
Clinical Professional-Super
Office Staff-Clinical

I want to state, =if(cell B2 CONTAINS "*clin*", then "yes", else "") This
would give me a "yes" on the second two cells, but not the first.

How can I select just a few letters within a column to search on? I've
tried *Clin* and I get the else answer.

Thank-you for any help with this problem.