Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
michaelberrier michaelberrier is offline

Default Merging two columns, data in one

But when I drag down that way, I just end up with either empty cells or
a fill down of whatever is in A1/B1.

I need to preserve the data that is in B2, B3, so on...

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On Jan 24, 11:12 pm, SteveW wrote:
Its 5am in the morning here, so forgive me.

By Merge you mean Cell merge A and B

Select cells A1 and B1, Format Cell - Merge
Result A1/B1 merged with value as in B1
Drag down as required.

Works for me.

Only problem is if Column A has data, but you said it was empty

Steve

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 05:02:41 -0000, michaelberrier

wrote:
Column A has no data, B is populated.

I need to merge the two and preserve the data in B. Obviously, I could
do this one at a time, but I tried to expedite by merging A1 & B1, then
tried filling down by copying the merged A1 and filling down with a
Paste Special --Formats, but this gives me blank, merged cells.

Is that better?

Thanks

On Jan 24, 10:58 pm, SteveW wrote:
So A and B have Data and B has precidence ?

Create a helper column C with c1 =if(b1<"",b1,a1)

Otherwise explain what you meant with the A1 & B1

Steve

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:47:24 -0000, michaelberrier

wrote:
I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all