Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bobjv Bobjv is offline

Default 05-2117

Excel autoformats a cell when I input the string of characters 05-2117. Has
anyone had a problem with this before? This is a customer number I am
inputing into a spreadsheet, but no matter what I format the field to be
Excel always changes the field to either be Date, the data gets changed to
May-71, or if I force the formatting to either General or Number the data
gets changed to 79380.

I've tried this on 2 different versions of MS Office, Office 2000 Pro and
Office 2007 Pro, and get the same results from both products. Has anyone come
across this before?

Is 05-2117 some kind of internal code that Excel uses and I just can not
input that string of data into any fields at all?