Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default use of ISERROR

Let me see if I understand what's going on here.

Your working information is all really in A2, but you want to hide any error
displays in that cell, but for debugging/development purposes you want to see
that error in A1?
I'd something like this into the two cells:
in A1:
= If(IsError(N1/M1),N1/M1,"")
while in A2
= If(IsError(N1/M1),"",N1/M1)
substituting whatever the real formula used in A2 is right now for the N1/M1
statements in those formulas.

"NathanG" wrote:

Close again but not quite. The cell with#div/0! is still showing.

Here are the values for the 2 cells concerned

a1: =IF(ISERROR(A2),"","")
a2: #div/0!

As it stands cell a2 needs to be made blank and cell a1 remain blank. If a2
has a number in it i.e 17182 this must be shown but the a1 still be hidden.

The customer is working on the logic for why #div occurs but we have been
asked for it now to show on the sheet.

Thanks

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

If the source is legitimately 0, you could use a formula like

=IF(M1=0,"",N1/M1)

which is far better than using ISERROR IMO.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Are you sure that masking errors is a good idea? Wouldn't it be wise to
check out why you get the #DIV/0?

--
---
HTH

Bob

"NathanG" wrote in message

A customer has asked me to supress any hashes. Typically the error is

#div/0!

I tried iserror(a2) and it came back true. If I change the value its
false
so that works. The thing is hiding the #div/0! and hiding the result of
the
iserror.

So I need another formula with this logic

if a2 is #div/0! then

a2 = ""

else if

a2 = the value of A2 ( it can contain a number)

and a1 (the result of Iserror)

= "" (all the time no matter if is true or false)

Thanks

Nathan