Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SueK SueK is offline

Default Getting a formula when typing long numbers

Thank you for your help in clearing this up for me.

"Dave F" wrote:

6.7e+09 is 6.7*10^9, that is, scientific notation. Try widening the column
or else clicking the comma button in the formatting tool bar, to have excel
display this as a fully written out number.

Note also that calculation in XL is limited to 15 digits of precision.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"SueK" wrote:

Why do i get 6.7e+09 in a cell when i tried to type in 6680344953? I know
that I can resolve this problem by changing the cell to text format but why
does it happen sometimes and not other times?