JulieD

Hi

try
=COUNTIF(1:1,"*Total*")=1

Cheers
JulieD

wrote in message
oups.com...
Need help with conditional formating entire rows using a veriable.
While I understand you can format an entire row by using something
like...

Formula =$A1="Total"

I'm trying to go one step beyond that and automaticly format any row
that "contains" a certain word, such as highlighting any row that
contains the word total (Sales Totals or Department Total or Corporate
Total).

For example I have a table of Sales by Department for our company. I
run a macro that SUBTOTALS the sheet by department. Now I have a list
of sales data with seven or eight subtotals by department. And I have
now gone over my limit of three conditions. So I can not just make a
condition for each Department Total. I have to figure out how to
conditionaly format any row that might contain the the word total as
part of the text of the cell.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help

Steve Monczka