Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
adodson adodson is offline

Default Compare columns, count matches

This will work for now. I tend to want to troubleshoot potential future
problems which is were the unique portion came in. Thanks.

I'm still open for a single cell formula that would accomplish the original
request if you think of one. :)

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A10,B1:B10,0))))

if Joe Schmidt shows once in a1:a10 and twice in b1:b10,
then count it only once.

If Joe Schmidt shows up more than once in A1:A10 and at least once in B1:B10
each instance in A1:A10 will be counted.

Biff

"adodson" wrote in message
I'm looking to compare two lists (a1:a10 compared to b1:b10, unnamed).
Then,
return the count of original matches between the two lists. For example,
if
Joe Schmidt shows once in a1:a10 and twice in b1:b10, then count it only
once.

Any advice greatly appreciated? Thank in advance.

P.S. = this will be incorporated into an If statement.