Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Roger Roger is offline

Default multiple colors on area chart

Jon,
Thanks for the info!

The only problem I'm having now is making the recession bars (vertical)
appear "behind" the area chart. My recession bar cover the color in the area.

Any ideas?
Thanks again!
Roger

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Plot two series in a stacked area chart, one that has the value when the
chart shows red (and zero otherwise) and the other that has the value when
the chart shows green (and zero otherwise). If the data points are close
enough, you will not notice that the division between colored sections is
not quite vertical.

If you need to tweak the chart to make the transitions exactly vertical, you
can accomplish this with an inserted data point at each transition.

Here is the data before inserting the point:

Date All Red Green
1/30/07 125.86 125.86 0
1/31/07 125.30 125.30 0
2/1/07 126.85 0 126.85
2/2/07 129.17 0 129.17

The Red area slopes down from 125.30 on 1/31 to zero on 2/1. If I'm plotting
only a two month set of data, this slope will be noticeable.

Insert a point that duplicates one of the dates. In a line or area chart
with a time scale axis, two values for the same date are plotted vertically
aligned.

Date All Red Green
1/30/07 125.86 125.86 0
1/31/07 125.30 125.30 0
2/1/07 126.85 126.85 0
2/1/07 126.85 0 126.85
2/2/07 129.17 0 129.17

The Red area now drops from 126.85 to zero on 2/1. You can change the date
of the transition to 1/31 if desired, if it seems to represent the timing of
the drop more accurately, but you do have to pick an integral date, not the
half date in between 1/31 and 2/1, because the time axis only recognizes the
whole number days, not the hours (fractional days).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Roger" wrote in message
I've designed a chart with dates (months) on the X axis and numbers
(percent)
on the Y axis. Currently, I am using the "Area" chart type which colors
the
entire area below the graph line as one solid color.

I wish to have the color change from one color to another at certain
points
on the X axis. An example of something similar is found at the bottom of
the
linked page:

http://gueriteadvisors.com/Strategy/indicators.cfm

any help would be greatly appreciated!!