The Good Deeds Team

This is really cool and worked great - now I would like to extend the model.

The application is a budget model

Budgets are stored in 140 separate worksheets, I thought about, having 140
tabs, but someone in the office said that would not work for them

Your suggestion worked for me as long as the other spreahseet was open (as
in the following example)

=-ROUND(INDEX('[10010 Budget Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$F$1:$F$100,
MATCH($A503,'[10010 Budget Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$M$1:'[10010
Budget Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$M$100,0))/3,2)

However if I close the other spreadsheet, and the first spreadsheet as well,
then open the first spreadsheet and say update from other spreadsheets, the
fields gets the value REF# and the formula changes to this:

=-ROUND(INDEX('S:\ACCOUNTING\Budgets\Budgets\FY2005 Budget\OOP\[10010 Budget
Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$F$1:$F$100,
MATCH($A503,'S:\ACCOUNTING\Budgets\Budgets\FY2005 Budget\OOP\[10010 Budget
Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$M$1:'S:\ACCOUNTING\Budgets\Budgets\FY2005
Budget\OOP\[10010 Budget Ofc of the President.xls]Sheet 1'!$M$100,0))/3,2)

Even if this worked, I wanted to reduce the string

S:\ACCOUNTING\Budgets\Budgets\FY2005 Budget\OOP\

..\oop

that does not seem to work either

Do you have any suggestions?

"RagDyer" wrote:

FWIW,
A couple of years ago, after reading about some speed tests Aladin did, I
switched a big WB database from a double (error checking) Vlookup formula to
the Index and Match combination,
It cut the opening time of the WB, IIRC, from 5, to just about 3 minutes !

Regards,

RD

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
RD
The VBA way may well be slower (looping through 6000 cells) but it
doesn't increase the size of the file like all those formulas do. I

usually
refrain from using formulas when there are many (like 6000) formulas
involved. Otto
"RagDyer" wrote in message
You bring up a good point Otto.

The Index and Match combination is supposed to be much more efficient

then
Vlookup, although I have no idea how it compares to VBA.

This should work faster then the Vlookup formula I first suggested:

=INDEX(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$6000,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A $6000,0))

RD

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
You can do this with VLookup formulas but there is a problem with that,
that
you should be aware of. With 6000 rows of data and just 2 columns in
Sheet2, you will need 6000 VLookup formulas. The problem is that the

file
will grow big in a hurry. If you have more than just those 2 columns,
which
I suspect you do, you will end up with a big file. If that is not a
problem
for you then I would say to go with the formulas. The alternative is to
go
with a VBA solution. Post back if you need more. HTH Otto
"The Good Deeds Team" wrote
in
message ...
I have two spreadsheets.

the first has a list of account numbers, for example

10
20
30

The second has a list of acount numbers and an amount, for example

10 100
20 150
30 175

How can I in the fisrt spreadsheet, use a formula to look in the second
spreadsheet for the corresponding account number, example 20, and pull
the
correct value, example 150 withoutout coding each row in the first
spreadsheet to look exactly at the specific row in the second

spreadsheet

For example, I can do this and it works

=(second spreadsheet!$F$11)

however I just want it to know where in the second spreadsheet column F
the
value 20 exists and pull 175 from colum G

I don't want to have to tell the firts spreadsheet it is on row 11, I
want
it to look through coulmn F and find the value 20, which matches the
value
in
the first spreadsheet, and then give me the amount from that row in the
second spreadsheet, say column g

this application is really 6000 accounts in the first spreadsheet, that
need
to match 6000 accounts in the second spreadsheet, and I don't want to
code
it
row by row, simplely match the accopunt numbers from the two

spreadsheets
and
give me a value on the corresponding row.