Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cory cory is offline

Default Looking for the equivalent of a Maxif function

I would sugust using Pivot Tables. They are well worth learning.
--
CCO

"PerplexedinKY" wrote:

Does anyone know of a good way to find largest value in a column B, if and
only if it satisfies the criteria in column A? Much like a sumif or countif.
For example, I have spreadsheet that lists all of my stores by market and by
region, within those sheets. I am trying to find the largest value for each
particular region. So I need the formula to look in column A for all
instances where the region is equal to region 1, and then find the largest
number in cloumn b that corresponds to all instances of region 1. I know I
can do this by sorting my sheet by region, and locking down my ranges
manually, but I run this file monthly and I have stores that open and close
without my knowledge. Any thoughts?