Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Texicanslim Texicanslim is offline

Default Creating Nested Functions

This seems to be headed in the right direction; the cell in which the
calculated amount is to be placed shows #value rather than actual number of
occurances.

Tex

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=1),--(B1:B10="A"))

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

C1 = 1
C2 = A

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=C1),--(B1:B10=C2))

Biff

"Texicanslim" wrote in message
I really need some help to write a formula with nested functions.

How do I write a formula to calculate how many times a specific
combination
of values appear in two different columns.

i.e. column A is populated with the values 1,2 and 3 in random order;
column B is populated with values a,b and c, also in random order. What
would the formula be to determine the number of times that the combination
of
1 and a appear side by side on the same row; over a worksheet with 10
rows.

Thanks for any help in advance.