Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XL2003 Paste not keeping link to source spreadsheet

Russ,

Instead of copy and pasting, try

1) copy / pastespecial link.

2) cut then paste, then close the workbook from which you cut the cell
without saving changes.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"xrbbaker" wrote in message
Grettings,

I haven't played with Excel for several months... I'm copying an area from
one spreadsheet file, and pasting it into another spreadsheet file. What
expect to happen is that the pasted cells will retain their link to the
source spreadsheet. Instead what is happening is that the cells contain
the
formula of the source cell which then wreaks havoc on my spreadsheet
because
that formula makes no sense out of the original spreadsheet. Is there a
setting somewhere that must be off? Why are the pasted cells not
retaining
the fully qualified path back to the originating source?

Thanks - Russ