Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Cell changes from General format to Scientific

123E305 is equivalent to 0.123 E+308 (inside the range allowed), but
123E306 is equivalent to 1.23 E+308 (outside the range allowed). What
don't you understand about that? The first one gets converted to a
number, the second one is treated as text (remains the same).

Pete

flish wrote:

I understand that Excel can't handle a number greater than 1E+308. But what I
can't understand is why 123E305 returns a value of 1.23E+307 and 123E306
returns a value of 123E306.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Your number is outside the range that Excel can handle, so it is
treated as text, even if it doesn't change the cell formatting to text.

Pete

flish wrote:

But when I entered 123E306 in a cell having the format of General. It returns
123E306 and retains the General formatting. It doesn't convert it to
scientific format

"Lori" wrote:

Excel only allows values less than 1E+308.

flish wrote:
Entered 123E305 in a cell having the format of General. It returns 1.23E+307
and changes the cell format to Scientfic.

Entered 123E306 in a cell having the format of General. It returns 123E306
and retains the General formatting.

What would cause this?

Thanks