Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] zach@zachshuford.com is offline

Default Finding a predetermined Sum from a List of Numbers

I'm in an odd situation, due to some office mishaps that no one
probably wants to hear about (and I'm cleaning up, but that's life).

I have a list of numbers. Let's say 5, 9, 3, 7, 2, and 4 for an
example. (Actually, they're dollar amounts, but you get the idea.)

I need some way to find out what combination of them toal X (say, in
this example, 16) so we can backtrack some work that was lost.

It doesn't even really need to be done natively in excel, if someone
happened to know a stand-alone program that I could just imput them
into. I've got about 60 entries, so enough to make working out the
total really difficult, if not nigh impossible, but not so difficult
that I couldn't just re-enter them into some sort of program that would
automagically do the work for me.

Any thoughts?